Friday, April 16, 2010

Alaska photo experience and a bit of humor

I was excited to find an article in the May edition of Popular Photography magazine entitled, "Passage to Alaska." In it, a professional photographer described his experience photographing from his 22-foot boat. (He points out that he can get a lot closer to wildlife than on a cruise ship!)

He also uses a smaller inflatable boat which allows greater access.

My favorite quote:

I was unsuccessful the first year I tried for harbor seals in Tracy Arm...They saw my bright red inflatable a mile away in the iceflows, and slipped into the water before I got the chance to photograph them.

The next year, though, I covered my red pontoons with white shower curtains to look more like an iceberg. It worked and I was able to photograph seals...

Shower curtain camouflage! :)

Hmmm...wonder how many shower curtains it would take to cover the Norwegian Pearl?

No comments:

Post a Comment